At Freedom Service Dogs, we unleash the potential of shelter dogs by transforming them into custom-trained, life-changing assistance dogs for people in need. Our clients include children, veterans and active duty military, and other adults. Their disabilities include autism, traumatic brain injury, cerebral palsy, spinal cord injuries, muscular dystrophy, multiple sclerosis, and post-traumatic stress disorder.
Freedom Service Dogs has received numerous commendations, national press features, and government resolutions in support of our innovative work.
- Come from shelters and rescue groups
- Open doors, pick up items, pull wheelchairs, go for help, turn on lights, and know more than 50 other commands
- Enhance social interaction
- Assist in programs for humane education, disabilities awareness, character development for at-risk youth, and rehabilitation therapy
- Is a nonprofit funded by charitable giving
- Does not charge clients for the services we provide
- Provides lifetime support for each service dog
- Changes lives forever
- Is tax deductible, diligently spent, and greatly appreciated
Helping People with Permanent Disabilities
People with mobility impairment must overcome challenges for even the simplest life tasks – picking up dropped keys or a pen, opening a door, turning on a light, getting the remote control, providing balance to assist with transferring to and from a wheelchair, and locating and acquiring the phone in case of emergency.
At any given point we have upwards of 50+ people on a waiting list who struggle for on average more than a year as we seek funding to provide a service dog to suit their specialized needs.
Freedom Service Dogs, Inc. (FSD) does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, national origin, sex, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, HIV/AIDS status, physical or mental disability for the purpose of service, employment, membership, volunteering, or leadership.
The FSD Difference
- Rescue Dogs: FSD rescues dogs from various parts of the country and custom trains them to become amazing service dogs. FSD does not have a puppy-breeding or raising program. Our experience is that there are plenty of unwanted dogs in shelters that are eager to get that second chance and a whole new career. Since our start in 1987, we have found that with dedicated training these dogs become heroes to those with disabilities, transforming their lives forever.
- Custom Training: FSD matches dogs to their new partner and custom trains the dog to do the specific tasks required by each individual.
- Provide Lifetime Support: FSD maintains contact with clients to provide annual recertification for the service dog and give hands-on support in new skill development.
- Positive Training Methods: FSD uses positive reinforcement – click/treat – to shape play behaviors (retrieve, tug, paw, touch) into helpful tasks. FSD service dogs wag while they work!