Application Check List
BEFORE APPLYING: THINGS TO KNOW
Freedom Service Dogs trains dogs for the following types of clients:
- Individuals 12 years and older with mobility disabilities such as paralysis, multiple sclerosis, stroke, muscular dystrophy, cerebral palsy, traumatic brain injury (TBI), amputations, etc.
- Veterans who have been formally diagnosed with post-traumatic stress (PTS), TBI, or a physical disability.
- Veterans who are diagnosed with PTS and also have anxiety or depression are welcome to apply.
- Individuals 5 years and older who have been diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder and/or other neurocognitive disabilities.
Freedom Service Dogs is unable to provide service dogs at this time for the following conditions:
- Low vision or individuals who are blind.
- Individuals looking for a medical alert dog for a diagnosis such as diabetes, seizures, or severe allergies.
- Individuals who are deaf.
- Individuals with a mental health diagnosis such as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, borderline personality disorder, etc.
- Non-military civilians diagnosed with PTS.
- Non-military civilians with anxiety and/or depression as their primary diagnosis.
- Dogs for elopement or tracking.
- Individuals with a primary diagnosis of anxiety, depression, or obsessive–compulsive disorder; however, these conditions may be comorbidities of diagnoses listed under Section 1 above.
Types of Service Dogs We Provide
- Service Dog: A service dog is trained to perform a minimum of three custom tasks for a person with a disability. The dog is granted full public access. A service dog can be placed with a client that is at least 16 years of age or older and is capable of handling the dog in public without assistance.
- Service Dog – Third Party: A third-party service dog is trained to perform a minimum of three custom tasks for a person with a disability. The dog is granted full public access providing that a parent or guardian is with the client at all times when in public. Third-party service dogs are available to clients that are under the age of 16 or unable to handle a dog in public without assistance from a guardian or caregiver.
- Skilled Companion Dog: A skilled companion dog is trained in basic obedience skills and some custom tasks to assist a client with a disability. The dog is not granted public access and is trained to assist the client only in the home
- Skilled Companion Dog – Third Party: A third-party skilled companion dog is trained in basic obedience skills and some custom tasks to assist a client with a disability. The dog is not granted public access and is trained to assist the client only in the home. A third-party skilled companion dog is available to clients that are under the age of 16 or unable to handle a dog in the home without assistance from a guardian or caregiver.
FSD Training Models
- Traditional training is for any type of client 12 years of age or older and requires clients to attend two weeks of on-site training at the FSD facility and agree to one week of in-home training.
- Disco’s Dogs is for individuals on the autism spectrum or with other neurocognitive disabilities 5 years or older and requires clients to participate in one class per week for 12 consecutive weeks at the FSD facility. Must live in the Denver metro area or temporarily relocate to be able to attend required training.
- Operation Full Circle (OFC) is for veterans with post-traumatic stress, traumatic brain injury, and/or a physical disability and requires clients to participate in one class per week for 16 consecutive weeks at the FSD facility. Must live in the Denver metro area or temporarily relocate to be able to attend required training.’
BEFORE APPLYING: COLLECTING DOCUMENTS
(*) denotes documents that must be on file for your application to move forward.
- *Identify a medical personnel reference. Our process requires a medical reference from a physician or mental health professional. The application requires that a valid name, phone numbers, address, and email address be entered for your physician/mental health professional. They will then receive an email link to the medical reference form.
- *Identify two emergency contacts. These contacts will be responsible for caring for your service dog in the event you are hospitalized or away for an extended period of time. The application requires valid names, phone numbers, and email addresses.
- *Identify two references, one personal and one professional. The application requires valid names, phone numbers, and email addresses.
- *A photo of yourself. You will post this to your profile.
- *Basic financial information.
- *Military/Veteran applicants: You will also need to provide a legible copy of your DD214.
THE APPLICATION: WHAT TO EXPECT
- The application is lengthy, so please allow plenty of time to get through all the questions. We estimate it will take two hours.
- If you are completing this application on behalf of an individual under the age of 12, please complete it as the individual receiving the dog.
- There is no ability to save your information as you progress, so all of the information will have to be entered at one time. Please plan accordingly.
- Please review the items listed under the Record Save Checklist on the toolbar at the right of the application screen. These represent required fields, and failure to make an entry will prevent an application from being submitted.
- Once you have finished entering all information, please click the Submit button under Recording Options at the right of the application screen.
AFTER APPLYING: WHAT’S NEXT?
- Upon submission of your application, we will begin reviewing it. Any outstanding items that are required for the application will delay this process.
- Once we have all items, we have several processes to conduct, including a background check of all adults over the age of 18 who live in your home. Please allow time for those processes to be completed.
- If you are found to be an appropriate candidate, you will receive a request for an interview. In this interview, we will continue to ask questions pertaining to you, your needs, and your preferences.