Dog Donation Info
Interested in donating your dog to Freedom Service Dogs to see if they have potential to be a service dog or professional therapy dog? Below is the criteria for adult dogs and puppies. Please note that puppies must be purebred and come from parentage with a history of good-to-excellent OFA ratings.
- Dogs must pass the FSD behavior evaluation before being accepted – this includes dogs from out of state (we may elect to watch the test through Skype or train staff members from other shelters to conduct behavior evaluations)
- Weight: between 45lbs and 95lbs
- Age: 11 months to 2 1/2 years (exceptions may be made depending on the dog’s other attributes)
- Calm and confident temperaments (cannot take high energy or hyper/busy dogs, or dogs that become over stimulated easily)
- Proven history (if known) of getting along well with other dogs
- Proven history (if known) of getting along well with all adults and children
- Proven history (if known) of getting along with cats and don’t have a strong prey drive for small animals, squirrels, or birds
- Motivated by food treats
- Confident and willingness to train, be engaged with people, and want to please people
- FSD cannot take any dogs that are shy, skittish, or submissively urinate
- Dogs that do NOT have separation anxiety (if placed as a service dog, they will be left alone on occasion and the dog must be comfortable with this)
- Dogs that are not generally perceived as dangerous by the public
- Labradors, golden retrievers, poodle mixes, shepherd/Labrador crosses, and standard poodles have a high success rate in our service dog training program, but we look at all breed mixes and consider each dog on an individual basis
- Dogs must have had a negative heartworm test in the past four weeks or have been on a heartworm preventive for at least the past three months
We are licensed with PACFA and must abide by their transport regulations when transporting dogs across state lines.
If your dog meets the criteria above, and you are interested in learning more about donating your dog to Freedom Service Dogs, please contact Fran Menley, Dog Intake Manager, at 303-922-6231 x210 or email@example.com.